Things to Do In Southport
The little village of Southport belongs to an older, gentler time: stunning Georgian, Victorian and Federal mansions, once home to sea captains, line shady streets still paved with their original blue slate walks and cobblestones. The genuinely charming town center holds a cafe, pharmacy, antiques stores, galleries, post office and grocery, worthy of a Rockwell painting.
The following attractions are nearby:
- Town of Fairfield – minutes away from DELAMAR SOUTHPORT, filled with lots of shops and restaurants.
- Beardsley Zoo – located in Bridgeport, CT featuring dozens of rare and endangered animals, a beautiful antique carousel, and historic greenhouse.
- Lockwood Matthews Mansion Museum – your knowledgeable tour guide will lead you through the first and second floors of the Mansion focusing on the details of every room and sharing the history of the families that once lived here.
- Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk – the only aquarium devoted to Long Island Sound. Exhibits includes varieties of sharks, big and small, stingrays, harbor seals, sea turtles, game fish, jellies, crabs, lobsters, mollusks and more.
- Ridgefield Playhouse – Includes history, events, children’s shows, directions, membership, and listings of current and upcoming movies.
- Sheffield Island Lighthouse – enjoy a round-trip cruise to Sheffield Island, a tour of a historic 1868 lighthouse, beach walks and strolls along the nature trail through the Stewart B. McKinney Wildlife Refuge.
- Stepping Stones Museum for Children – specializing in exhibits and activities for children 10 and under. Features history, mission statement, membership details, gift shop and contact information.
- The Glass House – The Glass House, built between 1949 and 1995 by architect Philip Johnson, is a National Trust Historic Site located in New Canaan, Connecticut. The pastoral 49-acre landscape comprises fourteen structures, including the Glass House (1949), and features a permanent collection of 20th-century painting and sculpture, along with temporary exhibitions. Tours of the site are available in May through November and advance reservations are recommended.
Many local businesses and corporations are nearby as well:
- Fairfield University
- Pepperidge Farm
- Sacred Heart University
- Tauck World Discovery