4 Must-Try Winter Activities in Connecticut
Winters in New England can feel incredibly long and cold, especially amidst the intermittent snowfalls this year. But despite frigid temperatures, New England offers a magic of its own with its pristine scenic views and hospitable New Englanders. If you and your family are seeking outdoor activities and adventures to experience the best of New England this winter, look no further than Connecticut.
1) Sled/tube down the snowy hills of Hartford or Fairfield
Here in Connecticut, we’re fortunate to have more than our fair share of impressive sledding hills and mountains. Nothing can match the exhilarating thrill of zooming down a crisp, white snowy hill on a sled or tube. Harford and Fairfield are home to numerous locations for both sledding and tubing.
Here is a list of some of our favorite spots:
- Winding Trails – This private outdoor recreational facility has a huge hill open for tubing/sledding. Snow tubes and pulk sleds are available for rent as well.
- Powder Ridge Mountain Park & Resort – This mountain park and resort is one of the best places to tube, as well as ski and snowboard all year long.
- Winslow Park – Located near downtown Westport, Winslow park has been a local favorite providing a fun sledding spot for families for generations.
- Gould Manor Park, Sturges Park, and Tunxis Hill Park – Located in Fairfield, these three parks are the go-to spot on snowy days and a local favorite among families looking for sledding fun.
2) Try your hand in Cross-country skiing
During the winter, snow covers much of the hills, valleys, and mountains in Connecticut. Cross-country skiing is a great way to enjoy absolute tranquility in nature, which is seldom found with alpine skiing (not to mention an incredible cardio-vascular workout). Just like walking or running, cross-country skiing is suitable for beginners and experienced skiers alike. Winding Trails, located 15 minutes DELAMAR West Hartford, has a 20-kilometer trail system that is open daily from 9 am to 5 pm for cross-country skiing. Grab your friends and travel through the 350 acres of prime woodland, streams, and ponds. A few hours out in nature is the perfect way to rejuvenate the mind, body and soul.
3) Enjoy one of Connecticut’s many maple festivals
The tradition of tapping maple trees for sap dates back to the indigenous people of the Northeast and was adopted by the European colonists. The traditional maple sugaring season stretches from February until late March. Grab your friends, family, and kids and head to a maple syrup festival or tour to learn more about this New England tradition.
Here is our list of a few Maple syrup festivals taking place this month:
- Maple Sugar Days in Greenwich – Located near DELAMAR Greenwich Harbor, this festival runs from February 23 – 27. Pre-registration and masks are required. Space is limited to 12 people per time slot so register today!
- Maple Sugaring Tap-a-Tree at Ambler Farm – The event runs from February until mid-March. Learn the history of maple sugaring and get a hands-on experience by taping your own tree.
- Maple Day at the Stanley-Whitman House – Historic interpreter and museum professional Dennis Picard will demonstrate how to tap a Maple tree for its sap and then evaporate the sap over an open fire as part of the sugaring process. The event takes place on Sunday, February 28. Click here to learn more and buy your tickets.
4) Hit the trails
Enjoy the crisp air and shimmering views that only a winter trail can offer. Scenic trails can be found on nearly every corner of Connecticut. A few of our favorite places in CT include Westmoor Park Trail, Trout Brook Trail, West Hartford Reservoirs and Reservoir 6, and the Greenwich Audubon Center. The historic Appalachian Trail also runs through the state.
Talcott Mountain Trail, located within Talcott Mountain State park just a quick 15-minute drive from DELAMAR West Hartford, also offers 2.5 miles of a loop trail perfect for snowshoeing.
Outdoor activities, fresh air, and sunshine are crucial to both our physical and mental health, especially after 2020. After enjoying a fun-filled day of winter activities, indulge in a luxurious weekend away at the DELAMAR. Get toasty with a cup of tea or a refreshing cocktail by the charming fireplace, enjoy a gourmet dinner and enjoy an hour or two of pampering at the Spa at DELAMAR. With three convenient and dog-friendly locations throughout Connecticut, DELAMAR is the perfect place to unwind and recharge.
With our Winter Getaway package, enjoy deluxe accommodations at any of our three hotels (West Hartford, Southport and Greenwich Harbor) with a complimentary bottle of red wine in your room upon arrival and dining credit to l’escale or Artisan Restaurant each night of your stay.
As always, be sure to stay safe, wear a protective mask and check with each location for any changes due to COVID-19.Back to Blog