5 Things to Do this Summer in Traverse City, Michigan
Located on the banks of Grand Traverse Bay on Lake Michigan, Traverse City is home to beautiful freshwater beaches, an extensive network of trails for hiking and biking, fishing areas, vineyards, a National Lakeshore park, and numerous forests that draw in nearly half a million visitors every year. It is also the home of our newest Delamar location, Delamar Traverse City.
Whether you’re a first-time visitor to Michigan, or have vacationed in the state before, Traverse City has something to offer for everyone. Here are some of our favorite things to do in Traverse City this summer.
Participate in the Annual Cherry Festival
Mark your calendars for the 95th Annual Cherry Festival, July 3-10th!
Traverse City is considered the “Cherry Capital of the World” and is the largest producer of tart cherries in the United States. The National Cherry Festival was created to celebrate and promote cherries, and the Grand Traverse region. The 2021 event will feature the familiar Porch Parade, as well as events like the Arts & Crafts Fair, the Old Town Car Show, and the Great American Duck Race.
Explore the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Part of the national park system since 1970, Michigan’s Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore encompasses a 35 mi. stretch of Lake Michigan’s eastern coastline. The park is home to miles of picturesque freshwater beaches, forested wilderness areas, and miles of hiking trails, including the multi-use, paved pathway Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail.
Visit a Vineyard & Winery
There are about 40 different wineries located throughout the Traverse City region. Lake Michigan provides the perfect natural insulation and fertile soil for the most succulent grapes. Here are a few wineries located near our Traverse City Delamar location:
- Bowers Harbor Winery – Located on the Old Mission Peninsula, Bowers Harbor offers wine tasting and wine dinners in a beautiful tasting room that overlooks the Grand Traverse Bay.
- Brys Estate Vineyard & Winery – This family-owned vineyard and winery is located in an 1890s homestead overlooking the Grand Traverse Bay.
- Chateau Chantal Winery & Tasting Room – Take a tour of underground wine aging caves and enjoy wine tasting with views of Lake Michigan.
- Left Foot Charley – Located in Traverse City, in what used to be the Northern Michigan Asylum, Leg Foot Charley offers visitors a uniquely urban winery experience.
Enjoy Boat Tours on Grand Traverse Bay
Experience Traverse City from the water by booking a boat tour. Delamar Traverse City is located on the waterfront and has private charters, sunset cruises & watercraft rentals right here at the resort. Here are a few of our partners for fun on the lake:
- Nauticat Boat Tour – Nauticat offers four different daytime cruises that are sure to be fun for the entire family.
- Aussie Watersports – If you’re looking to rent a jet-ski, kayak, or paddleboard, look no further than Aussie Watersports. Space is limited, so be sure to reserve in advance!
- Wind Dancer – Wind Dancer provides Sailboat and Sunset Sail cruises, as well as Pontoon charters. The luxury Regency 6-passenger Pontoon can be rented by the day (in two-hour increments) or by evening (a 3-hour sunset charter).
Explore Downtown Traverse City
Downtown Traverse City serves as the cultural hub for the Grand Traverse Region and is a shopper paradise. Over 200 specialty shops, boutiques, restaurants, and galleries line the streets of the tree-shaded, pedestrian-friendly downtown. At night, shopping gives way to a vibrant nightlife.
While you’re strolling down Front Street, be sure to check out the historic City Opera House and the art deco movie theatre in the heart of downtown.
Enjoy the Best of Summer at Delamar Traverse City
As the newest addition to the Delamar family, Delamar Traverse City offers exquisite views of Grand Traverse Bay, a waterfront Restaurant, and boat charters and cruise excursions. Book your summer stay with us today. It will be a memorable getaway for the entire family.Back to Blog