Celebrate Memorial Day in Traverse City 2022
Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of May in honor of those who have given their lives in service to this country. This year, take a trip with the family to Traverse City, Michigan and experience a relaxing weekend getaway to celebrate the unofficial kick-off of summer. Discover the state’s natural beauty, delicious eats, and local culture with some of our favorite Memorial Day activities:
Enjoy a Day at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Part of the national park system since 1970, Michigan’s Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore encompasses a 35 mi. stretch of Lake Michigan’s eastern coastline. The park is home to miles of picturesque freshwater beaches, forested wilderness areas, and miles of hiking trails, including the multi-use, paved pathway Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail.
Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is perfect for relaxing on Memorial Day weekend while listening to the calm, serene waves. Platte River Point, Esch Road Beach, and Glen Haven Beach are some options for beaches to enjoy during your getaway.
Set Sail on Grand Traverse Bay
What better way to celebrate Memorial Day than by sailing the Grand Traverse Bay? Traverse City has a variety of sailing options for visitors. Delamar Traverse City’s breathtaking waterfront location is located minutes from several private charters, sunset cruises, kid-friendly tours, and lake activity rentals. Here are a few options:
- Wind Dancer – Wind Dancer provides Sailboat and Sunset Sail cruises, as well as pontoon charters. The luxury Regency 6-passenger pontoon can be rented by the day (in two-hour increments) or by evening (a 3-hour sunset charter).
- Nauticat Boat Tour – Nauticat offers four different daytime cruises that are sure to be a romantic escape for every couple.
Explore the Local Wineries
There are about 40 different wineries located throughout the Traverse City region. Lake Michigan provides the perfect natural insulation and fertile soil for the most succulent grapes. Here are a few wineries located near our Traverse City Delamar location:
- Bowers Harbor Winery – Located on the Old Mission Peninsula, Bowers Harbor offers wine tasting and wine dinners in a beautiful tasting room that overlooks the Grand Traverse Bay.
- Brys Estate Vineyard & Winery – This family-owned vineyard and winery is located in an 1890s homestead overlooking the Grand Traverse Bay.
- Chateau Chantal Winery & Tasting Room – Take a tour of underground wine aging caves and enjoy wine tasting with views of Lake Michigan.
- Left Foot Charley – Located in Traverse City, in what used to be the Northern Michigan Asylum, Leg Foot Charley offers visitors a uniquely urban winery experience.
Experience Local Craft Beer
If beer is more of your style, Traverse City is also a nationally recognized hotbed for craft brewing. There are more than a dozen breweries in the immediate Traverse City area. Some of the local favorites include North Peak Brewing Company, Mackinaw Brewing Company, and Earthen Ales.
Discover Downtown Traverse City
Downtown Traverse City serves as the cultural hub for the Grand Traverse Region and is a shopper paradise. Over 200 specialty shops, boutiques, restaurants, and galleries line the streets of the tree-shaded, pedestrian-friendly downtown. At night, shopping gives way to a vibrant nightlife.
Celebrate Memorial Day Weekend at Delamar Traverse City
While you’re commemorating Memorial Day in Michigan, be sure to book your stay at a hotel that offers a convenient home base for your celebrations but doesn’t compromise on luxurious details and comfort. At Delamar Traverse City, we offer relaxing stays and joyful experiences to all our guests where you can enjoy our outdoor patio, live music, gorgeous views and more. We look forward to kicking off the summer with you!