Guide to the 2022 National Cherry Festival in Traverse City, Michigan
Mark your calendars for the 2022 National Cherry Festival, July 2-9th!
Traverse City is considered the “Cherry Capital of the World” and is the largest producer of tart cherries in the United States. The National Cherry Festival was created to celebrate and promote cherries, community involvement, and the Grand Traverse Region.
History of the Festival
The first cherry trees in the region were planted on the Old Mission Peninsula in 1852. In the early 1900s, cherry growers began holding “Blessing of the Blossoms” ceremonies each year during blossom time in May. In 1925, local businesses partnered with the cherry farmers to promote the growing cherry industry by making the “Blessing of the Blossoms” an official festival. This event was later moved to July and renamed the “National Cherry Festival.”
This year at Delamar Traverse City, we will be celebrating this great Northern Michigan event with our local community, including the local Cherry Republic which offers all things cherry.
What Can You Expect to See at the 2022 National Cherry Festival?
More than 500,000 people attend the festival every year to participate in virtual and in-person events, 85% of which are free to enjoy.
Here are some of the many events and activities to expect this year:
- The Porch Parade – Walk, bike, or drive around participating neighborhoods to see porches, windows, and yards decked out in celebration of National Cherry Festival Week.
- Souvenir Tent – Explore a festive tent full of local cherry themed souvenirs for treats and gifts.
- Air Show – Experience an exciting air show by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels during the opening weekend on July 2nd and 3rd.
- Arts & Crafts Fair – The fair this year will be held at the Grand Traverse Commons and will feature more than 100 artists from across the Midwest. Purchase unique, local, hand-crafted items and art from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on July 3rd.
- Cherries Got Talent Finals – Watch the Cherries Got Talent finalists perform on July 8th at 2:00PM at the Beer Tent! If you’re interested in submitting an audition video, submissions will be accepted starting April 5th.
- Old Town Classic Car Show – Visit Grand Traverse Commons for a nostalgic look at local classics featuring hundreds of show-condition collector vehicles including cars, trucks, tractors, and motorcycles, from throughout the Midwest.
- Beer Tent – Sip on refreshing brews, a glass of wine, or some specialty cocktails. Festival goers must be 21 or older to enter the tent and have a commemorative pin.
Additionally, the main festival grounds will be located at Open Space Park. Come try a slice of the Grand Traverse Cherry Pie, grab lunch or dinner from one of the many booths of local restaurants in the food court, shop at the Cherry Farmer’s Market and so much more! Click here to learn more and explore the full list of events.
Experience the Best of National Cherry Festival at Delamar Traverse City
Delamar Traverse City offers exquisite views of Grand Traverse Bay, our waterfront restaurant Artisan, and the perfect home base from which to participate in the National Cherry Festival. Book your stay with us today and enjoy this annual Michigan tradition.