Spend Memorial Day in Connecticut 2022
Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of May in honor of those who have given their lives in service to this country. Originally known as Decoration Day, it began in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971. Americans across the nation celebrate our military veterans by participating in parades, visiting cemeteries or memorials, and hosting family gatherings. Unofficially, it also marks the beginning of the summer season.
Rich in history and natural beauty, Connecticut is the perfect destination for a memorable Memorial Day weekend getaway in 2022. Here are a few ideas for how to kick off the summer right.
PARTICIPATE IN LOCAL MEMORIAL DAY EVENTS
Dozens of cities and towns across Connecticut are showing their loyalty and patriotism by holding parades and other ceremonies dedicated to veterans. Here is a list of a few local celebrations taking place near Delamar:
- Memorial Day Parade in Norwalk (May 30, 2022) – The parade begins at 10:00AM at Veterans Park in Norwalk, and ends at the Town Green on East Avenue.
- City of Milford Memorial Day Event (May 29, 2022) – The Milford Veterans Ceremony and Parade Commission (VCPC) are holding a wreath-laying ceremony beginning at the WW1 monument in front of City Hall and proceeding to the other veterans’ monuments on the Milford Green.
- New Britain’s Memorial Day Parade (May 30, 2022) – The Parade begins at 6PM at the top of Broad and Burritt streets and features many local veteran and youth organizations, the New Britain Police, Fire, and EMS departments, and local high school marching bands.
- Memorial Day Parade in West Hartford (May 30, 2022) – The parade will begin at 10:00AM and last for about one hour. Following the parade will be the Memorial Day Ceremony at the Veterans Memorial to incorporate special meaning to the holiday.
- Fairfield Memorial Day Parade (May 31, 2022) – Watch the Fairfield Memorial Day Parade at 10:00AM run from South Pine Creek Road, through the Town Green, and beyond South Benson Road.
- Jim Fixx Memorial Day Race (May 30, 2022) – The 58th running of the Jim Fixx Memorial Day race will follow a route through the streets of Central Greenwich and includes a Kid’s Run course as well. Register online to participate in the run.
TAKE A TRIP TO CONNECTICUT’S STATE PARKS AND BEACHES
What better way to mark that start of the summer than enjoying the great outdoors? Try a hike, take a stroll, go for a swim, or bring a blanket for a picnic with friends and family. The beaches and state parks along the Long Island Sound are located just a few minutes from our Southport and Greenwich Delamar locations. Here are some of our favorites:
- Sherwood Island State Park (Westport) – Sherwood Island State Park is known for its beautiful three-color sand beach, as well as woodlands and wetlands.
- Rocky Neck State Park (Stamford) – The park is home to West Beach, a boardwalk, as well as a large concession area, a bath-house with restrooms and showers, and a bike rack for cyclists. The extended park area includes hiking trails, camping areas, and quaint fishing spots.
- Silver Sands State Park (Milford) – This park features over a half-mile of shoreline and three-quarters of a mile of an all-weather boardwalk. Lifeguards are on duty Wednesday through Sunday.
- Jennings Beach (Fairfield) – Located just off Interstate 95, Jennings is the largest of the Fairfield beaches. The beach is handicapped accessible with a concession stand, bathroom facilities, volleyball poles, and sailboat racks. Lifeguards are on duty all summer, and they even offer swimming lessons.
- Southport Beach (Southport) – About 2.5 acres in size, this small but quiet beach includes bathroom facilities as well as lifeguards that are on duty during the summer months.
VISIT A LOCAL MUSEUM
GREATER MIDDLETOWN MILITARY MUSEUM – MIDDLETOWN
This museum is dedicated to paying tribute to and preserving the rich military history of greater Middletown’s veterans who have served America since colonial times. The museum includes memorabilia donated by local veterans and their families, including uniforms, medals, documents, letters, books, photographs, and more. The museum’s SGU National Monument (Secret Guerilla Unit) showcases a Huey helicopter that served in combat areas during the Vietnam War.
CONNECTICUT AIR & SPACE CENTER – STRATFORD
Did you know the first helicopter was built in Connecticut? This aviation museum proudly displays vintage aircraft, memorabilia, and artifacts associated with Connecticut history. Founded by George Gunther in 1998, the museum is located in a portion of an old World War II aircraft factory complex. Since the site is U.S. government-owned, visitors must be 18 and older to visit.
HARRIET BEECHER STOWE CENTER – HARTFORD
Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896), a Connecticut native, was an abolitionist and the author best remembered for her best-selling anti-slavery novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Published in 1852, the novel became widely popular in the north for exposing the inhumanity of slavery and the treatment of African Americans in the south. You can visit this museum housed in her Hartford residence.
OTHER MEMORIAL DAY EVENTS IN CONNECTICUT
ROBIN HOOD’S FAIRE FANTASY & MYTH WEEKEND – HARWINTON
For over 10 years, this family-oriented Medieval festival has been bringing smiles to guests’ faces from all over Connecticut and beyond. Set in England circa 1150, the festival features a market of handmade crafts and foods, singing and dancing performed live on stage and in the streets, magicians and psychics, jugglers and jesters, Robin Hood and the Merry Men, brave knights and damsels in distress, knighting ceremony, parades and so much more! The festival will run on Saturday May 29 and Sunday May 30.
TRANS AM MEMORIAL DAY CLASSIC – LIME ROCK PARK
Lime Rock Park is back for 2022, starting with the Tran Am Memorial Day Classic on May 27-30, 2022. The event will feature Trans Am TA2 Race and SVRA Races, Royals’ Garage Car Show, CT Craft Beer Grand Prix, and more.
CELEBRATE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND AT THE DELAMAR
Connecticut has been a vital part of America’s story, whether it’s in the arts, government, or military. While you’re commemorating Memorial Day in Connecticut, be sure to book your stay at a hotel that offers a convenient home base for your celebrations but doesn’t compromise on luxurious details and comfort.
With three elegant locations throughout Connecticut (Greenwich, Southport, and West Hartford), Delamar offers relaxing stays and joyful experiences to all our guests. We look forward to kicking off the summer with you!