The Perfect Last Minute Mother’s Day Gift is a Michigan Getaway
Mother’s Day is fast approaching this year on Sunday May 8, and what better way to spend time together than in Michigan? From exploring the local scene to dining and shopping, Michigan is the perfect place for a delightful day spent with mom.
Explore Michigan Activities
TULIP TIME FESTIVAL
Travel locally with mom by visiting the Tulip Time Festival in Holland, MI. This festival runs from May 7 – 15 when tulips are in full bloom and celebrates their beauty and Dutch heritage. Together you can dance, attend plays, concerts, performances and take a tulip trolly tour to see the beautiful fields of tulips bursting with color.
The Tulip Time Festival also features a quilt show, carnival, arts and crafts fair, and the Dutch Marktplaats where you can taste delicious treats. This festival is sure to be a fun and exciting way to spend time with mom.
DETROIT INSTITUTE OF ARTS
Spend a day with mom at the Detroit Institute of Arts and visit their current exhibition, By Her Hand: Artemisia Gentileschi and Women Artists in Italy, 1500-1800. This exhibit highlights the untold stories of vital female artists during the Italian Renaissance and beyond.
Be sure to stop by the exhibit, Van Gogh’s Artistic Roots: The Hague School and French Realism before you leave to gain inspiring insight into the famous painter.
Enjoy an Outing in Leland
EXPLORE THE HISTORIC FISHTOWN
This Mother’s Day, head to Leland’s Historic Fishtown to visit their small shops and restaurants. You and mom can find everything from small bars to full-service restaurants offering the day’s fresh catch, or walk along the dock. The charming downtown shops surrounding Fishtown range from bookstores, upscale boutiques, and gift shops to art galleries, offering visitors a fun, charming shopping experience.
CHARTER A FISHING BOAT
If you and mom are feeling adventurous, book a trip with an experienced charter captain and revel in the excitement of fishing in this iconic spot. Watch mom catch a Lake, Brown, Rainbow Trout, or a big King Salmon to make new memories that will last a lifetime.
VISIT THE NEARBY MANITOU ISLANDS
To keep the adventure going, visit the North Manitou Island and walk the dunes together while marveling at the beautiful turquoise waters and exploring the island’s village. South Manitou Island is home to beautiful freshwater beaches, as well as the South Manitou Island Lighthouse. Consider packing a picnic with mom to enjoy on the dunes overlooking the shoreline.
Shop and Dine at the Grand Traverse Commons
SHOPPING AT THE VILLAGE
Take mom shopping at the Grand Traverse Commons which is home to an indoor marketplace known as Mercato which offers a unique shopping experience with an array of local shops and boutiques. Here are just a few of the many shops:
- Crystal Lake Alpaca Boutique – The boutique carries a variety of alpaca products including hats, mittens, scarves, sweaters, stuffed animals, and alpaca socks.
- High Five Threads – This Michigan apparel company creates accessories and T-shirts for men, women, and kids to show the home state of Michigan some love.
- Landmark Books – This premier bookstore specializes in modern first editions, literature, and classics. They also carry a large selection of autographed copies and out-of-print books.
DINING AT THE VILLAGE
After your shopping spree, grab a bite at one of the many restaurants or cafes and enjoy a drink at their award-winning brewery. Here’s a list of just a few of the many eateries that you and mom can enjoy during your visit.
- Earthen Ales Taproom & Brewery – This award-winning brewery was started by a husband-and-wife duo who brew beer that reminds them of places they’ve visited and friends made along the way. Stop by the taproom for a visit and enjoy a delicious brew.
- Left Foot Charley Winery – The region’s first urban winery is located in the center of The Village. The winery serves Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer and an array of other white and red wines, as well as hard cider, from Northern Michigan’s finest vineyards.
- Pleasanton Brick Oven Bakery – As Northern Michigan’s first Artisanal Bakery, Pleasanton serves incredible wood-fired brick oven bread and pizza, and small-batch pastries.
Reconnect at Delamar for Mother’s Day
This May, give your mom the gift of a luxurious getaway while sharing unforgettable memories at Delamar Traverse City. Together you can explore the state from a luxurious home base while enjoying our amenities including an indoor pool, sauna, and more.
If you want to treat mom to a special evening centered around a culinary experience, join us at our award-winning Artisan restaurant where you and mom can share some quality conversations while one of our chefs covers the cooking. Make this Mother’s Day unlike any other by spending time with mom at Delamar Traverse City this year.